Graffiti can be removed from basically all types of surfaces. It is important to choose the appropriate graffiti remover as well as the gentlest process for the substrate.
Whether graffiti can be removed easily or not depends on the surface and the type of paint used (permanent marker, spray paint, undercoating,...).
Graffiti removal process from unprotected or protected surfaces
1. Breakdown of the paint surface with graffiti remover (solvent)
>> „Liquefaction“ of the paint
2. Removal of the paint – e.g. with hot water high pressure
>> Remove as much paint as possible from the underlying surface.
3. Removal of the color shadows / leftover color pigments from the surface with an alkaline cleaner
4. Removal of the light color shadows with a bleaching agent
Anti-Graffiti-Measures in practice
- Basics of graffiti removal -
The article gives an overview of the basics of graffiti removal. The most important basics include:
- Colorant/graffiti paint
- Graffiti remover (cleaner)
- Cleaning method/process
These points are clearly explained in the article written by Graffiti-Guard in the magazine "the Caretaker."
View article as PDF here
The right graffiti remover for step 1 is selected based on the sensitivity of the surface and / or the applied graffiti color (spray, ink or bitumen).
- Contact time at 15° degrees - for at least 20 minutes.
- Apply with a roller or brush.
- Work in with a brush.
- Rinse with high pressure hot water.
CAUTION!! Do not use dirt cutters or point jet nozzles for high pressure cleaning! Not too close to the surface with the high pressure nozzle! The graffiti paint should be only washed out of the surface!
PRODUCT: Shadow G
- The surface should be dry or not
be very wet!
- Apply with a roller or brush!
- Work in with a brush!
- Contact time at 15° degrees - at least 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse with high pressure hot water as soon as the color / shadow is dissolved from the substrate.
- The surface must be dry!
- Apply a filling with a roller or brush!
- The pigment bleach can remain on the
substrate until it is completely dry again.
- Posibility: cover and leave product to work for a long time.
- Salt crystals after pigment bleaching can be rinsed off with water.
Processing recommendations for pigment bleaching can be found in the product information.
CAUTION!! For all work steps, please wear adequate protective equipment, such as chemical protective gloves and eye / face protection.